Common HVAC Issues & Their Causes
Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) units are complex systems with many interworking parts. It’s not surprising, therefore, that these systems can experience a wide range of problems.
Some of the most common HVAC issues and their causes include:
- Low or No Air Flow: Little to no air flow can be caused by clogged filters, obstructed vents, or a failing blower motor.
- Refrigerant Leaks: Refrigerant leaks are often caused by damaged tubing or corroded valves in the air conditioning system.
- Poor Temperature Control: Faulty wiring and thermostat issues can cause issues with temperature control.
- Excessive Humidity: Leaky ductwork and inadequate insulation can lead to excessive moisture levels in your home or commercial property.
- Noisy Operation: Loose parts, dirt buildup, and worn fan blades are common culprits of loud operation from HVAC systems.
- Electrical Problems: Poor wiring, faulty circuit boards, and a lack of preventative maintenance can cause electrical issues with HVAC systems.
- Insufficient Cooling/Heating Output: This could be caused by a lack of freon or blocked vents that reduce airflow to the system.
- Short-Cycling: This is when the system turns on and off too frequently, which can be caused by a lack of maintenance or faulty wiring.
- Frozen Coils: Excessive dirt buildup and blocked airflow can cause frozen coils in the HVAC system, leading to an AC that only blows warm air.
- Inaccurate Thermostat Readings: Dirty sensors, incorrect settings, and faulty wiring can result in inaccurate thermostat readings.
- Leaking Water: If you see leaks near your AC, it could be the result of clogged condensate drains or a leaking evaporator coil.
- Excessive Dust Buildup: Leaky ductwork, inadequate filtration systems, and poor ventilation can lead to excessive dust levels inside the home.
- Strange Odors: These can be caused by mold or mildew in the air conditioner or ducts, as well as various airborne contaminants.
- Dirty Condenser Coils: Lack of regular maintenance and debris accumulation can lead to dirty condenser coils, which often results in poor HVAC efficiency.
- Poor Indoor Air Quality (IAQ): Faulty insulation, leaky ductwork, and inadequate ventilation can cause poor IAQ in your home or business.
If you are dealing with one of these problems or any other HVAC issue, contact the team at AirPlus. Our technicians are trained to work on all types of equipment and systems, and we respond quickly to all service requests. We are even available for 24-hour emergency repairs, 7 days a week.
Signs That Something Is Wrong with Your Plumbing
Some plumbing problems are obvious. A backed-up shower or toilet that won’t flush, for example, calls for immediate attention. However, other plumbing issues can be harder to detect.
Some signs that there is something wrong with your plumbing system include:
- Strange Noises, Like Banging, Gurgling, and Whistling: Strange noises coming from drains or pipes can be indicative of a plumbing issue. Banging in pipes can indicate water pressure that is too high and needs to be relieved, possibly by installing a pressure regulator. Gurgling noises can mean that the drain has become blocked, and the sound is caused by the pressure building up because of the blockage. Whistling can also indicate a problem with the pipes and could be caused by air infiltrating the system.
- Unusual Odors Coming from Your Drains or Pipes: Unusual odors from drains or pipes are another sign that something may be amiss. These odors could be indicative of waste buildup in your drains, which would require an inspection to identify and resolve the issue.
- Low Water Pressure: Low water pressure can be caused by a variety of issues, ranging from clogged pipes to air infiltration. It can also be caused by scale buildup inside the pipes, which can restrict the flow of water and lead to pressure issues. Low water pressure could also be the result of a broken valve or regulator and should be checked out promptly.
- Slow-Draining Sinks or Toilets: Slow-draining sinks or toilets can be a sign of a blockage in the plumbing system. If you notice that water is taking longer than usual to drain from your sink, for example, this could be caused by debris, such as food scraps and hair, clogging the pipes. Toilets may also start to drain slowly due to excess toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, and other items being flushed.
- Leaky Faucets or Pipes: Leaky faucets or pipes can be caused by a variety of issues, ranging from worn rubber washers and seals to corroded pipes. A simple repair, such as replacing the washer, can usually take care of the problem, while more complex repairs may require the help of a professional plumber.
- Visible Water Staining on Walls and Ceilings: Visible water staining on walls and ceilings typically indicates that there is a leak in the pipes or fixtures, which could lead to major damage if left untreated. Water staining may appear as discoloration or brown spots, and it could also be accompanied by the smell of mildew or mold.
- Water Pooling at the Base of Fixtures: Water pooling at the base of fixtures can indicate that there is an issue with the pipes, such as a blockage or leak. This could be caused by corrosion or sediment buildup in the pipes, which can restrict water flow and lead to pooling.
- Unexpected Changes in Your Water Bill: Unexpected changes in your water bill can also be a sign that there is a plumbing issue. If you notice that your bill has suddenly risen or dropped, it could be because of a problem with the pipes, such as a leak or blockage. Checking for visible signs of water staining and pooling is a good way to determine if this is the cause of the change in your bill.
You may be tempted to ignore seemingly minor issues, such as strange noises or slow-draining sinks or showers. However, this can lead to more serious problems down the road, which will take longer and cost more to repair. If you’ve noticed any issues with your plumbing system, we strongly recommend that you contact our plumbers right away to schedule a service call.
Types of Electrical Services We Handle
Our highly trained electricians are prepared to handle all types of residential and commercial electrical service needs.
We offer the following types of electrical services:
- Generator installation and repair
- Electrical panel changeouts
- Electrical system upgrades
- Electrical emergency and disaster response
- Energy audits and ROI estimates
- NFPA 70E hazard risk, category IV electrical work
- Power quality diagnostics
- Grounding and ground testing
- Infrared thermography
- Underground wire location
- Motor controls
- Lighting upgrades
- Security lighting installation
- Pole lighting installation
- LED lighting retrofits
- Solar and landscape lighting
- Seasonal and decorative lighting
- Smart home design and installation
- Fiber optic cabling
- Preventative maintenance
No matter the electrical service you need, it’s always safest to trust the pros. We invite you to contact our experienced electricians today for a comprehensive inspection and free estimate. We can help you understand what to expect before we begin any work so that there are no surprises.
We Stand Behind Everything We Do
At AirPlus, our unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional workmanship and unparalleled customer satisfaction are the hallmarks of our success. We pride ourselves on possessing the highest standards of technical excellence, enabling us to handle even the most complex HVAC, plumbing, and electrical issues with an unmatched level of expertise. Our steadfast refusal to use subcontractors ensures that our clients always receive consistent, first-rate service from our carefully trained and highly skilled in-house team members.
We stand behind our work with continuous customer support, fostering enduring relationships built on trust and transparency. We strive to exceed customer expectations and maintain our position as Northern Virginia's premier HVAC, plumbing, and electrical service provider.
Give us a call at (571) 470-7235 to learn more about our HVAC, plumbing, and electrical services in Burke, VA, or schedule your service online today!
Contact Airplus TodayServicing All Brands
Our team is here to answer your questions. Contact us today at (571) 470-7235 or complete the form below.