Signs You Need AC Service
Most people don’t think about their air conditioners too often—until they stop working. But there are certain signs that your AC system needs professional service, even when it’s still turning on and running. The sooner you address these issues, the more you’ll save on repair costs. Scheduling early service can also prevent major breakdowns and save you the hassle of calling for emergency repairs or even full system replacement.
Some of the most common signs that you need professional air conditioning services include:
- Nothing Happens When You Turn On the AC: If there is no air coming from the AC and nothing happens when you turn it on, it’s a clear sign that something is wrong with your system. An AC that won’t start up could have a variety of problems; we encourage you to contact our Northern Virginia AC experts for fast, reliable service.
- You Feel Warm Air Coming from the AC: The first thing to do if you feel warm air coming from your AC is to check your thermostat and make sure it’s set to the right temperature. If your AC is blowing warm air while in cooling mode, it could be a sign that the compressor isn’t working properly or that airflow is restricted.
- There Is Very Little Air Coming from the Vents: Poor or insufficient airflow may indicate a blockage in the ducts, or it could point to a clogged air filter, a broken motor, or something more serious. If you’ve cleaned or replaced your air filter recently and you’re still not getting enough airflow, call our AC pros.
- The AC Turns On and Off Very Frequently: Known as “cycling,” air conditioners normally turn on and off to regulate the temperature in your home. However, if you’ve noticed more frequent cycling than normal, it could be a sign that something is wrong with your system. We recommend that you contact our team for an inspection as soon as possible.
- The AC Is Making Strange, Loud Noises: Unusual noises coming from your AC—including loud banging, grinding, rattling, buzzing, or whistling noises—could indicate a serious problem with your system. Different noises indicate different issues; our team can quickly assess your system and find the source of the problem. Then, we’ll get right to work making the necessary repairs.
- Your AC Is Giving Off Unpleasant Odors: If you’ve noticed bad smells coming from your air conditioner or vents, it might be a sign of microbial growth or even mold. Though they can be serious, unpleasant air conditioner odors are often resolved through comprehensive system cleaning, including duct cleaning.
- You’ve Noticed Pooled Water Near Your AC: Air conditioners that utilize refrigerant to cool homes and businesses often produce condensation. However, you should never see pooled water or refrigerant around your AC. If you do, it means that something isn’t working properly, and you should call for immediate service, as a leak could cause serious damage to your home.
Other signs that you may need AC service include high or low humidity throughout your home or business, uneven cooling (i.e., some areas of your home or business are noticeably cooler than others), and unexplained increases in your energy bills, which could indicate that your system is no longer working as efficiently as it once did.
Up to $3500 in additional savings! *Conditions apply. See www.lennox.com/terms-and-conditions for complete terms and conditions. Valid from Mar 1, 2023 - Dec 31, 2023
Although many AC issues can be effectively repaired, some problems are so serious, the system must be replaced altogether. It can be difficult to tell when you need to replace your air conditioner, and you certainly don’t want to spend money on a new system if your old one can be repaired. However, keep in mind that a new AC may actually save you money in the long-run, especially if your existing one is old, outdated, and not very efficient.
Below are some things to consider when determining whether to repair or replace your air conditioner:
- The Age and Average Lifespan of Your AC System: Most air conditioning systems last about 15 years—but a wide variety of factors influence the overall lifespan of your AC. A well-maintained air conditioning system may last upwards of 20 years.
- Your Existing AC System’s Energy Efficiency: Do you spend a lot every month just to keep your home or commercial space comfortable? Replacing your existing AC with a new, energy-efficient model could end up saving you money on energy costs.
- The Type of Issue Your AC Currently Has: All AC issues are different. Some are easy and relatively inexpensive to repair; others are going to cost a lot more and involve a much more arduous process. This can greatly impact your decision to repair or replace your AC.
- The Overall Cost of Repairs: If it’s going to cost you more to repair your AC than to replace it, you’ll want to look for a new system. However, even if the cost of repairs is somewhat less than a new system, you’ll want to weigh the long-term cost savings of installing a newer, more energy-efficient model.
Generally speaking, if your AC just needs a new part or two, repairs are going to be the better option. If, however, there is extensive damage or the system has not been properly maintained, it might be time to consider replacing it.
At AirPlus, we offer honest recommendations based on our extensive industry experience. We can help you determine whether it’s time to replace your air conditioner and, if so, can provide advice on choosing the right system for your home or business’s needs. We never pressure our customers or recommend services we don’t truly believe they need.
How the AC Experts at AirPlus Can Help
We offer comprehensive air conditioning services in Northern Virginia, including Alexandria, Fairfax, Stafford, Annandale, Arlington, Burke, Falls Church, Lorton, Oakton, Reston, Springfield, Vienna, and the surrounding areas. Our team of highly trained and experienced HVAC experts is equipped to handle all types of cooling needs, from emergency repairs to routine maintenance. We are committed to your complete satisfaction and are happy to work with you to find a solution that meets your needs.